If the only tool you have is a hammer,
you tend to see every problem as a nail.
— Abraham Maslow
1. All experience is something real outside of the self
2. That real experience is total collapse of all sources of values outside the individual
3. Existentialists supply psychology with the underlying philosophy it currently lacks
4. Deals with the human predicament of the gap between human aspiration and limit
5. Study of human potentialities; increased authenticity is detachment from culture and society
6. Philosophical anthropology defines man
7. Self making self; NOT discovered or uncovered—created.
8. Problem of responsibility, courage and will of personality
9. Idiographic psychology, the study of the uniqueness of individuals
11. Ultimate aloneness = increased decision, responsibility, choice, self creation, autonomy and identity
12. Tragic sense of life
13. Limits to verbal, analytic, conceptual, rationality
15. Future of time: only the flexibly creative can manage future, face novelty with confidence, without fear
Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs.
A theory of human motivation by Abraham Maslow.
“A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting.”
- Abraham Maslow